ID Password  
  Forgot Password or ID | Sign Up  

Welcome to KoreanFest.com

Designer bridges music and fashion

Lee Ju-young, daughter of female designer Sul Yun-hyoung and C’est Si Bon music café owner, dresses top musicians

This is the sixth in a series of articles on up-and-coming Korean designers. ― Ed.

Her parents equally influenced her ― Lee Ju-young, founder and designer of the brand Resurrection, loves both music and fashion.

Lee’s mother is Sul Yun-hyoung, a veteran women’s wear designer, and her father used to own C’est Si Bon, the 1960s and 1970s popular rock caf in South Korea where stars like Kim Min-gi, Kim Se-hwan and Song Chang-shik used to sing. Lee married a rocker, Kim Bada, who was the vocalist in the rock group Sinawe.

“We used to have heaps of LPs. Singers would come to the caf and sing on my dad’s birthday, and I would watch him make programs. Music influenced me greatly. The cultural shocks I felt through music at the time became the base of my brand. In my point of view, music and fashion are inseparable,” Lee told The Korea Herald. 
Lee Ju-young at her shop, decorated with artwork inspired by Medieval Christian art, in Sinsa-dong, southern Seoul. (Lee Sang-sub/The Korea Herald)

She played cello for about ten years and majored in it at The Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, U.S. But she said it was not such a dramatic change for her when she entered Parsons School of Design and turned quickly to a career in fashion.

“I used to be surrounded with fabrics and designers. I have always been interested in fashion design. I guess I sort of had a feeling that I would do it one day. As I got older, I realized that being a designer would allow more ways for me to express myself thoroughly, than being a musician,” said Lee.

Sul was furious at first, hearing her daughter’s change of heart, knowing what a competitive field the fashion industry was. But as she saw Lee gradually become more seasoned, working at Sul Yun-hyoung Boutique for about 10 years, she became a big supporter of her daughter.

Lee launched her own label, Resurrection, in 2004. She has a shop in Seoul; supplies to several concept stores in New York and Copenhagen; and is in talks with buyers in Amsterdam and China. But what is most impressive is the list of her musician clientele including Marilyn Manson, Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas.

“It is hard to find menswear with as much detail and character as mine. I think that is why musicians like them. That is in fact why I started menswear as well. I used to do styling a lot, and I could not find clothes that I wanted to dress men in. So I decided to make them myself. There are not many female menswear designers, and I think I have an advantage because I know what style men and women are attracted to,” said Lee.

The brand does both men’s and women’s wear but is better known for the first. Motivated by Christian art from the Middle Ages ― as can be guessed from the name of the brand ― Lee’s designs appear to be mostly gothic, dark and weighty.

Rock music, of course, is another one of her inspirations.

“When a particular song really touches my heart, I search information about the musician, what kind of fashion trend was there at the time, etc, and translate it into my collection, my color,” said Lee, a mother of two who blew off her stress at the recent Jisan Valley Rock Festival.

She is currently focusing on the collaboration line she will soon be launching with Will.i.am, a member of Black Eyed Peas. Titled “i.am by Resurrection,” it will first roll out in the 2013 S/S collection.

“I am really thankful when overseas musicians, especially ones I really like, appreciate my designs and wear them. I have been dressing Will.i.am, and he is the type of person who just loves clothes. I think this will be a great opportunity to promote my designs. The price will be ranged a bit lower than high-end, and we are first aiming for the U.S. market,” said Lee.

Next month, she will be showcasing her clothes in New York under the name “2011 Concept Korea.” It is not her first appearance in the Big Apple but this time she is going as team Korea, with four other Korean designers.

“I am going to showcase some unique menswear ― I am trying to make very edgy menswear with soft and spongy materials. Black has always been the main color but I’m going for colorful this season as well,” said Lee.

By Park Min-young  (claire@heraldm.com)

Korean Festival Forum  
   Designer bridges music and fashion
Lee Ju-young, daughter of female designer Sul Yun-hyoung and C’est Si Bon music café owner, dresses top musicians This is the sixth in a series of articles on up-and-coming Korean designers. ― Ed. Her parents equally influenced her ― Lee Ju-young, founder and designer of the brand Resurrection, loves both music and fashion. Lee’s mother is Sul Yun-hyoung, a veteran women’s wear designer, and her father used to own C’est …
   Bestseller-turned-movie reveals real-life case of ..
The Crucible’ to release in September starring Gong Yoo and Jung Yoo-mi When popular novelist Gong Ji-young started publishing her online serial novel “Dogani” (The Crucible) in 2008, readers were shocked that it was based on a real-life story. Inspired by the mass sexual abuse at a school for hearing impaired children in Gwangju from 2000 to 2004, the novel attracted more than 16 million online readers. The novel’s film adaptati…
   Sunghui Chang, the 15th Annual Frances Locke Memor..
Its 15th Annual Frances Locke Memorial Poetry Award Winner Sunghui Chang of Sugar Hill, GA for her poem “Gardenia’s Scent” Sunghui Chang has been awarded the $1,000 first prize in this year’s 15th annual Frances Locke Memorial Poetry Award for her poem “Gardenia’s Scent” which will appear in the Autumn (October) 2011 issue of The Bitter…
   Lee Ufan: Marking Infinity, Guggenheim Museum, New..
For the hot, tired and frazzled masses, the Guggenheim Museum offers an oasis of cool serenity this summer. “Marking Infinity,” a five-decade retrospective of the art of Lee Ufan, fills the museum rotunda and two side galleries with about 90 works in a Zen-Minimalist, be-here-now vein. National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto “From Line,” a 1977 work, is an example of Mr. Lee's making the brush stroke his primary device over t…
   2018 Winter Olympics Go to South Korea 강원도 ..
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false EN-US KO X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 …
   U.S. scholar explores Asian literature
Professor Emanuel Pastreich, director of the Interdisciplinary Studies Program of the Kyung Hee University (Park Hyun-goo/The Korea Herald) An American professor has brought the classical novels of the novelist Park Ji-won of the Joseon period onto the global stage by translating ten short stories into English. Emanuel Pastreich, who goes by the Korean name Lee Man-yeol, recently published two books in English with Seoul Natio…
   French hallyu fans greet K-pop idols
On June 8, Charles de Gaulle Airport was filled with young French people gathered to greet K-pop idol groups, including Girls’ Generation, F(X), SHINee and TVXQ, who arrived in Paris for the SMTown Live World Tour on June 10 and 11. By Yoon Sojung Korea.net Staff Writer
   Brooke Shields Expresses Her Love of Gochujang
Actress Brooke Shields looks at Korean red pepper paste gochujang at a supermarket in New York on May 24. /Courtesy of the Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries American actress Brooke Shields is the latest in a line of American celebrities to show an interest in the health benefits of Korean food. The Blue Lagoon (1980) starlet was seen shopping for gochujang (Korean red pepper paste) and other ingredients at a Korean market in Ne…
   Kimchi Chronicles
New star-powered kimchi documentary heralds new food trend Friday, May 2011 AL LARGE EXTRA LARGE REIKA ENLARGE Build a show around French chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten and his half-Korean wife Marja as they travel around South Korea sampling the country's staple food, kimchi; add a few random and gratuitous appearances by actors like Hugh Jackman and Heather Graham; and what do you…
   Korean-American writer shares Pulitzer for local r..
A Korean-American writer was among awardees of the 2011 Pulitzer Awards announced Monday. John J. Kim of The Chicago Sun-Times received the award in the local reporting category for their documentation of crime-ridden Chicago neighborhoods. He shared the prize with staff writers Mark Konkol and Frank Main. The Pulitzer Board gave awards in 13 out of 14 categories for journalism and in seven categories for the arts. The results were announced Monday…
   The Rhythm of Spring!
Korean American Student Arts Circle of Greater Atlanta presents the Korean traditional performing art event and a Day Cafe at Korean Cultural Center. You will experience awesome sounds and dances from the Korea. Programs are SAMGOMU (REE DRUM DANCE), DANSO AND HEAGUM, HWAGWANMU (FLORAL CORONET DANCE), SANGMO, GAYAGEUM, SULJANGGO, BUCHAECHUM, SAMULNORI February 26, Saturday, 7:00 pm Korean Cultural Center 1009 Industrial Court Suite-A, S…
   A Korean American Artist Gyun Hur was awarded for ..
Hudgens Prize Winner Named The winner of the $50,000 Hudgens Prize visual arts competition was finally announced at the special Award Ceremony on the evening of November 30 at the Hudgens Center for the Arts in Duluth. The packed crowd at the invitation-only event held its collective breath as Linda Lindeborg, Chairman of the Hudgens Prize Committee, revealed the win ner. Gyun Hur of Atla nta was chosen as the recipient of th…
   Tomae Park, Sin-ja Exhibition
ACOM Gallery Art Atlanta, GA December 18, 2010 - December 24, 2010 Opening Reception : Saturday 18 Dec. 2010 2:00 pm Free Admission It is our pleasure to announce an exhibition at Atlanta Conservatory Art Hall by a renowned Koren painter, Ms. Tomae Shinja Park. She has been producing traditional oriental style paintings for more than 30 years. In her masterpieces she has captured the natural beauty of Korea…
   ‘U.S. dramas distort S. Korea image’
The image of the Han River Grand Bridge in the U.S. television series “Lost” (left photo) and its actual appearance Many images of South Korea in hit American television series have been “distorted,” raising concerns over their detrimental impact on the country’s overall image, a ruling party lawmaker pointed out Thursday. Rep. Hong Jung-wook of the Grand National Party said that shows such as “Lost,” “24”…
   Peace Corps' seeds spawned KOICA
U.S. Ambassador Kathleen Stephens discusses one of the Peace Corps volunteers with KOICA Vice President Chang Hyun-sik. (Yoav Cerralbo/The Korea Herald) Peace Corps’ seeds spawned KOICA One of John F. Kennedy’s dreams was realized in 1991 when KOICA opened its doors and hearts to help developing countries learn and grow. “Let us hope that other nations will mobilize the spirit and energies and skill of their …
처음  1  2  3  4  5  맨끝

Donation

678-978-2220